Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 1996 23:52:07 +0100
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        Paulo Menezes <paulo@isr.uc.pt>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount_mfs

Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
>>Ok, that is a solution! But what about mfs? I would not like to create a
>>/var /etc /tmp for each of the machines. The real question is can mfs be
>>used to create an empty ram-disk rw for /tmp?
>
>Well, mfs has no real speed advantage over any "real" filesystem since
>we got the share VM/buffer code, so I generally avoid it.

o no update(4)
o no synchronus operation for creating/deleting files on disk

>Remember that it isn't really a mfs but more like a
>swap-partition-fs.

It is a user process with contex switching and twice
memory-to-memory copying. I think the word 'swap-partition-fs' is
confusing. Mfs is a hack and not fully optimized for speed.
See 'The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System',
page 302-306.

Wolfram