Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 08:41:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Joong Kim <better@epctech.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPOE Client Port Request

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Joong Kim wrote:

> I apologize for not being clear on this manner.  Our local phone company is
> being overwhelmed with the demand for ADSL market and they are growing too
> fast for their own good.  Anyhow, one of the problems with they're having
> concerns DHCP and availablity of IP Addresses.
>
> As I understand correctly, the phone company is going to PPPOE protocol to
> have more "control" over IP Adddresses so speak.  I'm not sure if this
> would help at all or not.  I've heard that they have no control with DHCP
> and people stealing IP Addresses.
>
> We've found this nifty client under Linux that seems to be resolve our
> problems with ADSL, PPPD and PPPOE.
>
> I'm not fully aware of PPPOE implimentation under FreeBSD 4.0 currently.
> We couldn't get the PPPOE working properly for our purposes.  Thus, we
> seeked other solutions.  Here's one of the solutions we've found.  It seems
> to be a good solution for ADSL and PPPOE.
>
> Please advise if the current FreeBSD implimentation is designed to work
> with PPPD and PPPOE on an ADSL connection.  As I understand it, the current
> implimenation only covers Ethernet and PPPOE.
>
> We would appreciate the feedback on this issue.  Thank You.

I don't know much about our PPPoE implementation, but a good place to
start looing would probably be:

ng_pppoe(4) - RFC 2516 PPPOE protocol netgraph node type
ng_pppoe(8) - RFC 2516 PPPOE protocol netgraph node type
pppoed(8)   - handle incoming PPP over Ethernet connections

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org