Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:40:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@ohoyer.de>
To:        Killermink! <killermink@hotmail.com>
Cc:        ohoyer@ohoyer.de
Subject:   Re: dhclient and host resolution

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Killermink ! wrote:

> #echo "nameserver 192.168.2.1" > /etc/resolv.conf
>
> (this is the correct IP for the Mac)
>
> then
>
> #ping www.google.com
>
> And it worked immediately!  Thanks very much, I feel pretty stupid with such
> an easy answer, but shouldn't this info be provided by dhclient?  If I move
> to another network, say with a gateway of 10.x.x.x or other, will I have to
> change resolv.conf again?  Is there anyway to get this automatically or is
> it a feature of FreeBSD/dhclient?

Hi!

Well, you have to tell the DHCP server to also provide to the client
gateway and DNS information explicitly.

My notebook gets its /etc/resolv.conf entries also from DHCP @work,
respectively when I work @home from my DSL provider.
So dhclient is able to do that, resp. the ppp when it comes to the DSL
Line...

HTH
Olaf

--
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,