Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:31:32 -0700
From:      Edward Sutton <mirror176@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-geom@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gvinum raid5 cannot find file system superblock after removing a disk

I had a disk that had been in a down state in the past, marking its raid5 p=
lexes as stale. After determining which disk was the one connected to the s=
tale data (ad8), I rebooted to a freebsd on a nonraided freebsd drive that =
did not have geom_gvinum loaded. I made a dd of the first 64mb on ad8 and u=
sed sysinstall to repartition the drive. The main system has failed to moun=
t or fsck all raid5 partitions since. gvinum still says the untouched piece=
s are in the 'up' state and restoring my ad8 dd made that disk listed again=
 but still cannot boot. I have not yet tried to rebuild the disk from the o=
ther 2 since it is unable to boot from them. Is there a chance that the day=
a is no longer being called with the=20
correct offset or from the correct disk? is there a way i can experiment wi=
th the data from each disk to rebuild it using different orders and offsets=
 to create another disk containing nonstriped data to try to find the files=
ystems?
I am running a stable6 system updated about 3 days ago and haven't found an=
y postings indicating trouble from there. Any information as to what went w=
rong and suggested steps from here to bring this data back online would be =
greatly appreciated. I will try to provide any requested information, but a=
t present wukk be manually copying it fro one computer to the next in most =
cases.
Thanks again for any information,
Ed Sutton
Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Caf=E9. Stop =
by today.
http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_Oc=
tWLtagline=