Date:      Wed, 09 Sep 1998 18:56:08 +1000
From:      Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daemonising a Java Process: Possible?

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:05:28 -0500 (CDT)  Tony Kimball wrote:

> Kaffe is very close, but *most* people with skill and interest are
> prohibited from contributing, since you can't touch it if you have
> seen the JDK source code

There are lots of people interested in Kaffe that haven't seen Sun's
source.  Sure, many of the posters on *this* mailing list have seen
Sun's source, but not all (trivial example: I haven't).

As well, there are other projects if Kaffe fails or goes slow or
whatever:
	guavac
	gjc        (Cygnus' new gcc frontend)
	classpath  (GNU project for a full set of Java classes)
	japhar     (another open source JVM)

These are just the projects I know about.  Sure, not all of them will
work out.  They may take a while to mature.

Betting that there *won't* be a high quality open source Java
environment is betting against history at this point.  (4.4BSD, Linux,
Apache, gcc, XFree86, ...)

All IMHO, of course!

Giles