Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 16:52:13 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvsup 2.1 -> 2.2: sysconfig, rc.conf, rc.i386 ?

I've got a few machines I'm trying to migrate from 2.1.7 to 2.2-stable
with the RELENG_2_2 cvsup target.  It's gone moderately smoothly
(cvsup, make world, ...) but I have noticed a couple glitches which
point to problems in the installation of the boot-time scripts.

The text-console screen saver specified in /etc/sysconfig and invoked
by /etc/rc.i386 is now improperly invoked under 2.2-Stable: rc.i386
specifies an entry-point option which isn't found. Not a big deal, but
points to problems in the rc script stuff.

I see looking in the /usr/src/etc/... that "sysconfig" is supposed to
be replaced with a new /etc/rc.conf, and that my 2.1.7-vintage rc.i386
file is obsolete (the 2.2 version doesn't specify an entry-point for
the screen saver, for example). There's even boot-time code somewhere
that checks for this and complains that I need to replace sysconfig
with rc.conf.

But the make world process did not install the new rc.conf nor the new
version of rc.i386 or give me the upgrade warning.  How is this really
supposed to be done? Do I need to use some other make target? Are
there other similar system boot and configuration files I need to
worry about?

Thanks.