Date:      Tue, 05 Aug 2008 10:16:26 -0400
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@wallnet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslogd stopped

I found some OLD reports of this happening (back in 2001 or so), but I
haven't seen anyone mention it.

On August 1st, my /var/log/maillog files started rolling over empty
files, nightly, with only the "logfile turned over [date]" message in them.

Turns out, syslogd stopped running.  As soon as I restarted it, and
grepped for it:

# ps -ax | grep syslog
48049  ??  Ss     0:00.02 /usr/sbin/syslogd -s

It began running and my /var/log/maillog file has entries once again.
I'm a little baffled; does anyone have any idea what might be going on
or could maybe point me to a resource I might have missed that discusses it?

Thanks

Tim