Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 09:11:23 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), rkw@shark.dataplex.net, p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I wrong or is this just stupid?r

In message <199608272310.QAA25610@phaeton.artisoft.com>, Terry Lambert writes:

>Richard really can't ask for this without offending people, since he is
>asking for a fiat, effectively: he wants it acknowdleged that if he takes
>it on, it's his bailiwick, to do with as he pleases.
>
>Probably, he would be better off contacting the core team directly for
>that kind of assignation.
>
>But he's not wrong to want the assurances in the first place.

Yes, he can have that assurance, but we will >not< guarantee to adopt
his code until we see it.

We're not a corporation, there is no money, budgets or other artificial
restraints.

We have earlier, in jest, adopted the IETF mantra:

	"... we belive in rough concensus and working code."

Everybody else works under this rule, so must Rick.

If he thinks he can make a new set of makefiles that will be much
better, he goes away and does it.  as soon as he has something
that works a little bit, he sends it out as a patch, asking for
comments, and after a few cycles, unless he has made it absolutely
clear that he hasn't understood a word of it all (which I don't think
is even remotely possible in this case) his code will be adopted
with a eagerness proportional to the net improvement it brings.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.