Date:      Tue, 09 Apr 96 17:14:33 cdt
From:      "DAVID SLOUGH" <DAVID_SLOUGH@NSDGATE3.nsd.fmc.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Install HELP! - kernel panic during install

     Michael Smith stands accused of saying:

     >>Argh, the other thing to do is disable all the other fancy IDE stuff
     >>(Block mode and 32-bit mode) - I think this is mentioned somewhere
     >>on the floppies supplied with the board.  (I can't remember if you
     >>were using an IDE disk...)

     Thanks to those who responded - Messrs. Smith and White---I have been
     OTR (out of sight, out of mind).  Since returning I have tried Mick's
     solutions:

     1)  Disable WriteBack cache
     2)  Chipset Setup to Auto-Detect
     3)  BIOS Default settings
     4)  Disable IDE stuff

     both serially and in parallel with no joy.

     Results have been mixed with respect to command output and panic
     errors.  I have seen generally the following on VTY-2:

     last file copied...
     instruction pointer                = 0x8:0xf01dc0ff

     code segment                       = base 0x0, limit 0xffff, type 0x1b

                                        = DPL0, pres1, def 32 1, gran 1

     processor eflags                   = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0

     current process                    = 1(sysinstall)

     interrupt mask                     = bio

     panic codes have ranged from 1 to 50 to 84 to 141 depending on the
     CMOS setup prior to the crash.

     I have also tried with all power management stuff disabled, but to no
     avail.

     I have it on good authority that the 16MB SIMM is 70ns, but I have not
     verified this through testing.

     The CD that is attached is a NEC 6xe.  It is recognized right away by
     the install.  Are there any known problems with it?

     Any new thoughts are heartily welcomed...

     Cheers,

     Dave