Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 19:21:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named telling the truth, but not the whole truth.

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Leif Neland wrote:

> Is there a way to tell bind8 not to tell the world the same as it tells a
> local server?
>
> Specifically, I have some hosts, which do dialin and pick up their mail by
> ETRN. So their dns is:
>  some.dom 	MX	100 our.mastermail.server.
>  some.dom	MX	10  their.dialin.server.
>
> Is there a way not to announce the lowest MX-record to the world, but only
> to our.mastermail.server?

Nope. What you want to do is probably best served through the use of a
mailertable, if you're using sendmail on our.mastermail.server. Compile a
sendmail.cf with FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable'),
and create a text file /etc/mail/mailertable to map domains to intended
destination hosts:

some.dom	smtp:[their.dialin.server]

The angle brackets in the file suppress MX lookups, and cause your mail
server to forward directly to the host in question. Compile the
mailertable into a hash table with:

makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable.db < /etc/mail/mailertable

and restart sendmail. Then you only need to put the MX record pointing to
our.mastermail.server in the zone file for that customer's domain, and
sendmail will handle the rest.

Cheers,
Mick