Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 16:49:42 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No sound, wrong UK keyboard setting in X

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 05:25:37PM +0100, Stacey Roberts wrote:

>   I used to have this all set up before this machine had to be rebuilt.
> Now afer re-building it, I can't for the life of me work out how to
> enable sound for non-root users, nor am I able to get my MS Natural
> (ergonomic) keyboard to work properly (shift ' does not give me @,
> etc..,)

Sound for non-root users is probably a function of the permissions on
the appropriate device files in /dev --- most of the sound related
stuff has permissions rw-rw-rw- on my machine.  MAKEDEV snd0 should
recreate them with the correct permissions.

Somewhere within your XF86Config file you should have a 'Section
"InputDevice"' for your keyboard.  Modulo any comments in the file,
that section should look something like this in your case:

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier   "Keyboard1"
    Driver       "Keyboard"

    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel"   "microsoft"
    Option "XkbLayout"  "gb"

EndSection

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK