Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:20:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        cezy@inext.ro, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Urgent message

>  Hello,
>
> I'm just new on FreeBSD. I have an error message on my server :
>
> "/kernel pid:383 (exim), uid 3 on /var : file system full "
>
> What does it mean ?? Is the mail direcotry full of messages ???
>
> Please help.
>
> Tibi Borzak
> Internext
> www.inext.ro

 It means the program whose process ID was #383 (apparently the exim
program) running as user id #3, tried to write somewhere in the
/var file system... and that file system was full.

 So, you need to determine why that file system was full.  (Your
guess is that /var/mail is the culprit may be a good one.)

 Try the following and you'll see which directory in /var is using
the most space:

	cd /var
	du -x . | sort -n

	- Dave Rivers -