Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:27:46 -0400
From:      Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
To:        koobs@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-dtrace@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DTrace network providers

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 08:01:40PM +1000, Kubilay Kocak wrote:
> On 21/08/2013 3:00 PM, Mark Johnston wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've ported the ip, tcp and udp DTrace providers to FreeBSD, following
> > the Solaris documentation here:
>
> Wow, nice work Mark!
>
> > I've collected a bunch of example scripts for these providers and placed
> > them here:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~markj/dtrace/network-providers/
> >
> > To run one you just need to execute "dtrace -s <script>".
>
> Do you think it might be worth getting this up and polished in the
> FreeBSD Wiki, hopefully with a view to including it in future documentation?

I'm still thinking about how to document this stuff. I'd like to write a
man page which defines and describes our SDT probes and provides
examples. A wiki would be a good place for examples, but I'd rather not
document stuff there as it'll eventually fall out of sync with what the
code does.

> The wiki might also be a good place to give the community a high-level
> view and checklist for what we have and what needs to be done, improved
> upon or tested.

Yep, it'd be good to have somewhere to document outstanding DTrace work,
missing features, bugs and so on. I'll document all of the problems and
shortcomings that I'm aware of, and add a wiki page for them (or append
to an existing page).