Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 1995 17:01:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Paul Vinciguerra <PVinci@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Where is /tmp mounted?

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, Paul Vinciguerra wrote:

> I've been playing with the packages and can't seen to pkg_add xemacs off
> the CD.  It keeps telling me that /tmp is out of space.
>
> How do I increase the space?  or is there another way to install xemacs?

/tmp may or may not be a separate partition.  I usually don't make it a
separate partition, but I suppose you could, by creating a new partition
for it and mounting it.  As the directory's name suggests, it's either a
subdirectory of / (root) or its mounted onto /.  Most likely, this means
you selected the smallest root size, and your root filled up because too
much stuff was being put into /tmp.  I'm not sure  for pkg_add, but in
general the assignment of the temporary storage directory defaults to
/tmp but may be changed by setting the shell variable TMPDIR.  If I need
more than I've allocated, I always have a /usr/tmp, my /usr is a separate
partition from the / partition (and much larger) so I set TMPDIR to point
to /usr/tmp.

BTW, check partition fill values with 'df'.

> Paul

7608 Topton St.             |
New Carrollton, MD 20784    | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0) and n3lxx
(301) 459-2316              | (FreeBSD 1.1.5.1) and am I happy!