Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 1996 21:06:18 -1000
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID Controller Product

} Does anyone know of a good scsi-to-scsi RAID controller that can do RAID
} level 5 and that would be great for a file server application.  I'm
} presently using disk ccd for our news servers.  Each server carries the
} same information, so I'm looking to consoladate the information on one
} fileserver.
}
} Looking into Mylex's DAC960SI, which seems to be a good product (on
} paper).  Has anyone had experience with the Mylex product or any other
} that you might want to recommend.
}

Be careful.  From what I've heard here ccd does a good job of increasing
performance.  Don't expect that from your average cheap RAID controller.

RAID 5 is a compute-intensive system.  It can be made fast, but at this
stage many aren't.

Mylex RAIDs I've looked at haven't been any faster than the component
drives.

Richard