Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 23:45:04 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
Cc:        Alexander@Leidinger.net, nick-lists@netability.ie, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, cy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lang/icc doesn't compile c++ sources

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> > Alternately, you could ensure ordering... by reordering the source
> > code.  This seems like a poor idea, but it what Linux did implicitly,
> > I think.  8-(.
>
> first of all i'm taking this as an aprils fool (no offence if it was
> none) ;]

It wasn't a joke.  That's actually what we did to fix the problem
with ACAP.  We also inserted spaces in template declarations,
because the g++ tokenizer wasn't fully compliant with the C++
specification.

> and secondly i believe these templates don't get linked (all code within
> the .h) so we should go another approach. (sorry, i'm not very creative,
> including aprils fools)

The things that it is complaining about are member functions
for an object class.  This can only happen if you are actually
trying to instantiate objects of that class.  Otherwise, the
compiler would complain that it's unable to instantiate classes
which haven't been invented yet (_that_ was a poor "April Fool's").

I think the specific case here is that clases with static members
get a static instance to act as the instance that holds the static
data member.

-- Terry