Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 10:12:02 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I was rooted using telnet

On 09/30/01 01:35 PM, Jason sat at the `puter and typed:
> I personally only use ssh when I am remote.  I don't think that is the
> problem.  No one else has privileges on my box and I don't su remotely
> unless it's something that can't possibly wait until I get home.

How about the password?  Is it a 'strong' one?  How easy would it have
been to find thru brute force?

I imagine you haven't seen anything on your daily security output, or
you would have mentioned that.

Lou
> ---
> Jason
> jason@jason-n3xt.org
>
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Doug Reynolds wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 30 Sep 2001 00:38:38 +0000 (GMT), Jason wrote:
> >
> > >I do recall the security notice.  I read it on the website and from the
> > >security list.  I was already planning a cvsup at the time and I asked a
> > >couple of BSD gurus I know if that when I update my sources by cvsup,
> > >would that take care of the problem.  They told me it would.  So a couple
> > >of days after I saw the security advisory I cvsuped from
> > >cvsup2.FreeBSD.org (i usually only use 2 or 3) and thought the problem was
> > >taken care of.  I don't recall seeing any other advisories.
> >
> > the only thing i can think of is if they hacked u, they probably
> > grabbed your root password and logged on with it.  _always_ ssh when
> > you su

> > >with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
> > >

> > ---
> > doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Computer, n.:
  An electronic entity which performs sequences of useful steps in a
  totally understandable, rigorously logical manner.  If you believe
  this, see me about a bridge I have for sale in Manhattan.