Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:55:51 -0600
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        Rodger Castle <rodger@profocusdesigns.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath driver usage for Netgear WG511T

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 09:56:31AM -0500, Rodger Castle wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:37:10 -0600 Doug Poland <doug@polands.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 07:30:41AM -0500, Rodger Castle wrote:
> > > I am trying to get a Netgear WG511T working with FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE.
> > >
> > I use the same card in a Dell C600 laptop on 5.3-STABLE with no
> > problems.

..snip...

> > load if_ath.ko at boot
> >

> Thanks for the tip, Doug.

No problem, BTW, please don't top post on the list.

>I'm a bit sketchy on using and changing drivers as laptops seem to be
>the only time where non-standard drivers are required for me (by
>non-standard, I mean those not enabled by a default install).

It's really just a matter of enabling support for the particular
hardware in your computer.

> It seems FlyingJ has some specific requirements for their Wi-Fi system
> but it could be that this is my first time experimenting with wi-fi.
> At any rate, I'll put a full report of my findings tonight up here.

They may be requiring an SSID or some type of encryption.  In my personal
travel experience I've never come across a wireless provider that
required either.  For me, simply enabling the wireless NIC at boot time
and "dhclient ath0" is all I've ever had to do.  YMMV.

--
Regards,
Doug