Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:33:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      The Gupta Age <thegage@kashmir.etowns.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   configured irq not * in bitmap of probed irqs #,,, strange modem weirdness

Hi,
I am running FreeBSD 4.7-RC and trying to get an isa
modem working on an old computer.
the modem has ti chipset.
the kernel recognizes it(?) here is the part of dmesg output

sio2: configured irq 2 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio2 at port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 2 on isa0
sio2: type 16550A

can anybody COMMENT on this. has anybody a working modem
with this message "configured irq......probed irqs " present
in the dmesg?
anyways here is the problem I can use tip to connect to
the modem. any command eg at atdt that I type thereafter
appear a character late on the screen and I simply dont
get any message back from the modem. By a character late
I mean that a appears when I type t : if I am issuing "at".
It also appears that the modem receives these messages.
atdt picks the dialtone.
ati7 does nothing but If I keep the space bar depressed
after issueing it, I get the correct output one character
at a time as if polled by each spacebar keypress event.
the output in my case ultimately looks like:
at i7
Configuration Profile...

Product type           US/Canada Internal
Product ID:            00178500
Options                V32bis,V.34+,x2,V.90
Fax Options            Class 1/Class 2.0
Line Options           Caller ID, Distinctive Ring
Voice Options          Speakerphone, TAD
Clock Freq             92.0Mhz
EPROM                  256k
RAM                    32k

FLASH date             3/18/98
FLASH rev              11.1.10

DSP date               2/10/98
DSP rev                11.1.10

I am trying to use this modem to send fax and none of the
softwares eg: hylafax or sendfax are recognizing
the modem which is probably because they request
the modem to identify itself and wait but get
nothing in return. (I think)

Can anyone familiar with the serial device drivers
please comment on this situation, specifically if
this is an OS/driver issue.

thanks and best regards,
Saurabh Gupta