Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2004 00:19:45 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        shih@math.jussieu.fr
Cc:        "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2410SA starts doing this: aac0: COMMAND 0xc551a7e8TIMEOUT AFTER 147 SECONDS  (Modified by Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC)

Albert Shih wrote:
>  Le 05/03/2004 à 22:05:25-0700, Scott Long a écrit
>
>>On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>>
>>>Now the machine, when it tries to check the two aacd volumes on this
>>>controller, starts printing out this message below every 20 seconds or
>>>so and the disk volumes cannot be used.  Each new IO attempt triggers a
>>>new set of these messages.  The hex number after the COMMAND word is
>>>different for each new IO request but of course stays the same for
>>>repeated messages relating to the same original IO request
>>>
>>>aac0: COMMAND 0xc551a7e8 TIMEOUT AFTER 147 SECONDS
>>>
>>>I have googled on this and similar posts related to 2120S controllers
>>>all seemed to have different causes and fixes...
>>
>>I thought that 5.2.1 would have fixed all of this.  This isn't good.
>>

>>>Any hints or ideas on what is causing this?  I can get into the
>>>controller at POST time and it checks out...
>>
>>Can you boot the machine at all?  If so, could I feed you some patches to
>>help diagnose the problem?
>>

> Long time ago (humm 3 mounths ;-)) ) I've same problem with a Adaptec 2120S
> on FreeBSD 5.2
>
> The reconstruction don't work and sometime the machin hang up with same
> kind of message.
>
> I solve the problem (after many time) by to remove the SCSI terminator on
> the array (where I put the hot-plug disk).
>
> Hope this help.
>
> Regards.

Termination problems are the source of many many SCSI problems.  You
need to be very careful to make sure you understand exactly what the
termination requirements are of the system.  Most hot-swap enclosures
have internal termination, so connecting a cable to them that is also
terminated with cause problems, as you seem to have observed.
Unfortunately, the 2200/2120 cards try really really hard to hide these
problems and make them invisible.

Scott