Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:25:36 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing djb's public domain daemontools?

Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com> writes:
> I want/need a solution that works in (nearly) all cases and is devoid of
> complex code trying to track state that is already represented elsewhere =
in
> the system (the process table and the parent/child process
> relationship).

Please show me the complex code required to handle pidfiles.

> I want a solution that can reliably handle a crashing server that
> doesn't clean up its pidfile

That's a strawman.  Whatever tool you use needs to be able to handle
stale pidfiles anyway.

> I want a unified control interface for the services running on a box,
> a la launchd or what have you.

So extend service(8) to support enabling / disabling services through
/etc/rc.conf.d/<servicename>.  Probably no more than an afternoon's
work.

> This isn't about religion but about missing base system functionality
> - the ability to reliably control services running on a box.

The onus is on you to show that we don't already have that.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no