Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 06:39:08 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@csn.net
Cc:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel compile broken

>bios.o: Undefined symbol `_memcmp' referenced from text segment
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.
>------------------------------ cut -----------------------------
>
>changing memcmp() to bcmp() in i386/i386/bios.c makes it compile,
>not sure if this is correct fix.

memcmp isn't supported in the kernel.  Using bcmp instead is correct
(I forget if the ar order is compatible).  This problem is sometimes
maked by gcc inlining memcmp() without warning about the missing
prototype for it.

memcpy is supported in the kernel, although bcopy is normal, so that
gcc can generate efficient inline code for small copies.  The inline
code for bcmp isn't particularly efficient (gcc doesn't do anything
special for small counts...) so little would be gained by using it.

Bruce