Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 18:38:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@slip.net>
To:        Tommy Hallgren <md6tommy@mdstud.chalmers.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1 to 2.2-stable

I think some people might disagree with my opinion, but I think the best
course of action would be to cvsup to a clean /usr/src and make world.  If
you have built a custom kernel, make a backup copy of your conf file
somewhere other than below /usr/src (I forgot when I did this, it's no big
deal to make a copy of GENERIC and then tweak it to your own specks, it's
just a pain if you forget).  MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP /etc!!!!

Also if you have done make world in the past make sure /usr/obj is clean.
Some files/dirs require a little 'gentle persuasion' to rm.  You might
have to execute the following command to truly make sure /usr/obj is
clean:

csh# chflags -R noschg /usr/obj/; rm -rf /usr/obj/

When make world is complete, diff your backup of /etc with the new /etc.
I can't remember if make world populates /etc, so you might have to check
/usr/src/etc against both /etc and your backup copy.

Then recompile a new kernel image and reboot.

Hope this helps.

- -burton-

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Tommy Hallgren wrote:

> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 20:43:49 +0100 (MET)
> From: Tommy Hallgren <md6tommy@mdstud.chalmers.se>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Cc: md6tommy@mdstud.chalmers.se
> Subject: 2.2.1 to 2.2-stable
>
> Hi!
>
> Can anyone tell me if it is faster to install 2.2.1 sources and cvsup to
> 2.2-stable or to clean /usr/src and then cvsup to 2.2-stable?
>
> My machine is a 486 66MHz and my modem a 33k6 one and I'm currently
> running 2.2.1 FreeBSD.
>
> (Please cc me since I'm not on this list)
>
> regards, Tommy

Burton Sampley
bsampley@best.com or bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu or bsampley@slip.net
PGP key available at http://www.best.com/~bsampley/pgp.html