Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:52:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Possibility?

> The core team members largely self-schedule themselves, more according
> to whatever available time and energy resources are available that
> week than any quickly-obsolete "master plan", but if one wanted to
> back-solve from this and call the sum of their decisions "core team
> policy" then yeah, I guess you could do that too. ;-)
>
> 					Jordan
>
> P.S. Of course this isn't ISO 9000 compliant management, but then about
> 95% of the existing core team would probably walk if it were, so the
> medicine would be worse than the cure.

Why does everyone assume (incorrectly, IMO) that it is onerous to

1)	Say what you are going to do
2)	Do what you say

?

This is, in fact, all that ISO 9000 is: a means of guaranteeing
consistency between intent and subsequent action.

If we are all supposedly "in it for the fun", then games theory
dictates that having a consistent rule set which is consistently
and uniformly applied, will remove stress for everyone.

For the record, I have only ever suggested that consistency
guarantees need to be made in the areas of:

o	Release management
o	Source tree management (including build process definition)
o	Policy definition
o	Policy application

...I have *never* suggested that the core team (or any other FreeBSD
contributor) should be treated as if they were a compensated employee,
and held to task for their actions, or to a rigid timeline for a
schedule.

So please do not change this from an issue of policy definition
(which is what I was looking at) to one of holding to a timeline.

					Thanks,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---