Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:13:25 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: general speed differences between 4.1.1-RELEASE and 4.3-RELEASE

Mike Silbersack wrote:
> > As a friend of mine says "I can make it go as fast as you
> > want, if it doesn't have to work"...
>
> You entirely missed my point.  Yes, we could leave it at 0.
> But if so, we should tell people so that they can make an
> informed choice.  If we don't make the choice obvious, people
> are going to continue to be alarmed and confused as to why
> their Linux boxes now run circles around their FreeBSD
> boxes.  This speed difference would be ok _if they knew why_.
>
> But they don't, at present.

First of all, they do not "run circles" around FreeBSD;
they kill the virgin reliability on the alter of the
bloody god Benchmark.

Second, FreeBSD has an incredible number of such options;
this leads to several thorny questions:

o	How would you propose to offer people an informed
	choice?

o	How do you propose to convert the people from
	uninformed to informed?

o	Would you do this at install time?

o	If done at install time, isn't this a huge barrier
	to entry to new users?

o	Wouldn't a huge barrier to entry to new users be
	a worse liability than meaningless relative speed
	benchmarks, which can only be made after the system
	is installed?

o	Aren't what you really asking is to allow people to
	make their systems as unreliable as typical desktop
	systems?

o	People with servers which actually use their disks
	will typically use SCSI, and not see the problem
	anyway, right?

So, are you going to put the "desktop vs. server" knob in
sysinstall?

Or are you going to write the:

	My Computer
		<right button>Properties
			Performance
				[File System]
				[Graphics]
				[Virtual Memory]

Desktop widget for these people to use, so that the ease of
use approaches that of the desktop systems in the second to
last question?

...Inquiring minds want to know...

-- Terry