Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 23:47:22 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        tshiozak@astec.co.jp
Cc:        acpi-jp@jp.freebsd.org, iwasaki@jp.freebsd.org, msmith@freebsd.org, haro@tk.kubota.co.jp, takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI megapatch

Hi,

> > I'd like to move and rename them as I said in my previous mail,
> > <sys/acpi.h> -> <sys/dev/acpi/acpi.h>
> > 	shared by both kernel and userland programs
> > <sys/dev/acpi/acpi.h> -> <sys/dev/acpi/acpivar.h>
> > 	shared within kernel code (acpi stuff and related drivers)
>
> IMHO, it's desirable to use the name "acpi.h", because of conflict
> with the file dumped by /usr/sbin/config.
>
> I love :
>   fooreg.h : device dependent and implementation independent
>              structures, macros, and others.
>   foovar.h : implementation dependent ones.

Thanks Shiozaki-san, I think `reg' is short for registers of the
target chip, correct?  In ACPI's case, PM1 register and some such
and maybe definitions for ACPI tables.
How about kernel/userland shareable stuff like ioctl?  for example,
usb(4) has this kind of definitions in dev/usb/usb.h, not in usbreg.h.
Is this a special case violating the guideline?
I think we can distinguish them like "usb.h" and <dev/usb/usb.h>,
also we will stop generating acpi.h in kernel build directory.

Thanks