Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:03:45 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
Cc:        ed@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clicky driver

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 02:11:55AM -0500, b. f. wrote:
> >        Anybody know how I can redirect the beep to my speakers?  I miss
> >       the confirmation that vi/vim puts out.
>
> Outside of X, our kbdcontrol(1) offers pitch and duration (but not
> volume) control for the console bell via the -b flag.  The volume is
> often dependent upon the hardware and/or the bios, and in some cases
> cannot be easily changed.

	So, yet another man page; thanks for the datapoint.

> Unfortunately, our keyboard-handling code does not seem to allow the
> remapping of individual keys to strings -- I think that can be done in
> Linux -- so we can't add a bel to every keypress by defining an
> alternative keymap via kbdcontrol, without hacking the code (but since
> ed@ is working on a new console driver, this might be a good time to
> request features...).

	A BEL-per-key drove me beyond the limits back in '99; that isn't
	the answer, but to key a truncated bell, a click, at something well
	below middle-C: yes, this kind of thing is what I'm thinking of.
	What is ed's full email ed[at] where.org, please.

	If he'll give me the clues, I'll share in the hacking.  It is time
	to get this feature builtin to the kernel.  Off by default, and on
	at some user-tuneable values.

	If only 1 peraon in 10K uses it, that's fine.  For me, it makes
	typing do-able.

> However, at a slightly higher level, many
> shells and editors will allow you to rebind keys.  And some will allow
> you to redefine the action taken when the bell is sounded:  for
> instance, out csh(1) has the nifty "beepcmd".  You could customize
> this to play a sound file of your own choice through your sound card,
> where you presumably have more control over the sound, and then try to
> use bindkey to issue bels with keypresses.  Of course, this will only
> take effect while you're in that shell or editor, but
> you could use the idea to hack the syscons(4) driver to redefine
> sc_bell() if a certain sysctl is set...

	Well, as a last-resort kind of solution.  I think it's time to get
	at this by hacking the driver.  But since it has been so long since
	my last go, some/any help would be much appreciated.

	gary