Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 18:58:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current users <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Closing off PRs?

On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> > 	I'm just curious as to what is required to get Problem reports
> > closed off.
>
> 1) Fix the problem, or get confirmation that it doesn't happen anymore :)

	So, what...send email out to each person that put in a problem
report and say "hey, have you ever seen this problem since"? :)  If so,
then so be it :)

	for instance, PR#kern/216, submitted February 14, 1995, dealing
with the -current kernel of that time with a bug in ffs_alloccg, with a
map corrupted.

	sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_alloc.c was last changed on the 5th of January
this year...

	This is what the guy was running at the time:

Running FreeBSD-current (supped and built 2/11/95 from freefall.cdrom.com)
on ASUS SP3G board (486/66, 32mb ram).  Using onboard NCR PCI SCSI and two
SCSI disks - DEC 1 gig and Seagate Hawk 4 gig.

	Now, -current has gone through *so* many changes, and a release,
plus looking at the log file for ffs_alloc.c, there have been alot of changes
to the code in there, yet none that seem to specifically address this problem.
(or at least mention it directly)

	So if its a matter of sending this guy email confirming he hasn't
had the problem since, and then just closing it, let me know and I'll go
through the whole problem database this way, or at least those that look
pertinent :)

> 2) edit-pr --> replace `open' by `closed'

	well, that I can do...

> 3) note the CVS file name and revision number where the fix has been
>    applied (as an xref, normally the CVS log should tell the PR that is
>    closed by the change)

	And in the case where the problem was fixed, but nobody specifically
fixed it?  Ie. as part of something else?  As I stated above, ffs_alloca.c
has gone through *alot* of change since the PR was submitted.  Just sort
of note that "submitter confirms hasn't seen bug since submitting"...
especially for -current source that changes alot and quickly?

	And, if I should just butt my nose out of this...let me know that
too *grin*  I won't take offence...promise :)

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc