Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:46:12 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca
Subject:   Re: Can't make world... need help

> No, it's more like:
>
> 	 1) const annoylevel = 3
> 	 2) for (i = 1; i <= annoylevel; i++) {
> 		 3) SUP/CVSUP
> 		 4) Compile
> 		 5) Does it work? y -> goto 7
> 	    }
> 	 6) fix the problem yourself, and report the fix
> 	 7) you're done now.

and for us non enough talented ones... i've learned that it's quite
usefull to add one "sleep" after the cvsup, usually i wait about 12
to 36 hours and am taking a close eye on the freebsd-current, if
nothing serious is seen there i make world...

and have successfully been running a "production server", even though
it's my machine at home, it being my line to net it's very important to
me to keep it up and running.

only down times i've experienced in the last two years have been either
coz of the poor wires from the telco (had to rewire myself) or the
electric blackouts, or the one hardware failure...

usually i havent seen panicking kernels, few weeks ago i had one, but
booting with week older kernel solved that. and i noticed it on the
boot time, havent seen "on the fly" panics in months. and i happily
avoided (knock knock) the whole memory leakage problem... (though at
the moment i have some anomalities with the pre-lite2 kernel, but it's
nothing serious, machine does run and is not killing processes)

server is under "load" running small news server and lots of things on
many xterms and screens... and there are few remote users...

<worship>
so, in other words, i am most pleased customer, thank you devteam.
</worship>

and even tho i run 2.1.x on real production servers at work, i've played
with the thought of putting -current there too, for different reasons,
but then again, i need an "excuse" for myself to be subscribed to the
cdroms... beside /usr/ports/distfiles would take "lots" of drive space.

mickey
--
mika ruohotie        mika@aeon.net      mickey@supsys.fi
net/sys admin