Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 1997 23:25:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a c at the place of x (tar error)

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:

=>I have done an error with a tape with a tar backup on it.
=>I want to restore a lot of data but instead of the x (xzv) I used the c
=>(czv) as option ...
=>Now I am not able to restore anything from this tape even if I suddenly
=>break the wrong command... (so a lot of data are still on the tape..). May
=>I do something to recover at least some files ?
=>
=>Thanks for attention...

I used a company once (about three years ago) which was able to recover
what was left of the old tar backup sans the already overwritten
portion.  It cost me, as I recall, about $6,000 for the tape.  I have
not found another way of doing it.  Of course, I have never made that
mistake again...

Lee