Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 07:17:20 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing groups

> Are we talking to permanently change the default GID of new files, or are we
> talking on a per file basis?
>  - To permanently change the default group needed, you would have to edit
> the password file and change that users group (vipw).

This is BSD, not SysV.  On BSD systems, the group of a newly
created file is always taken from the group of the directory in
which it is located.  To change the group of files created in a
directory, use chgrp on the directory.

And, since this is BSD, you can always read any files with group
read permissions for any group you belong to without doing
anything special.

Under SysV (at least until SysVr3 -- I haven't touched it since
then), you could only be one group at a time and had to use the
newgroup command to switch to another group.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>