Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 23:40:30 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool little 100BaseTX switch - they're coming down in price

Tim Tsai wrote:
> > hub. It works fine except that it hangs occasionally (can be
> > reset by power-cycling).
>
>   Most of these can be attributed to the crappy wall wart they call a
> power supply.  If it's plugged into an UPS or replace it with your own DC
> power supply they generally hold up a lot better.
>
>   I have a Netgear FS108 at home (8 port 10/100 switch) and I've found
> Netgear stuff to be as cheap as I would go and still be reasonably
> reliable.

I grabbed a Sohoware 8 port switch (NSH800S) a few months back.
It's physically bigger than the FS108 and a bit cheaper.  I picked it
because the RJ45's were on the back instead of the front (as the netgear
has) as it was more convenient for me. It's nice and has been totally
reliable, but it runs hotter than hell. It's got two monster heatsinks on
the two core VLSI chips that do the switching.  The 8 phy's also get damn
hot too.  I'm quite concerned about it and am just about to find some power
inside and put some fans in.  I don't know if it's worth much, but it
supposedly changes between cut-through, fragment-free cut-through and
store-and-forward switching modes depending on load characteristics.

Anyway, it seems the sohoware web site only refers to the NSH510 and 810,
so it looks like it's superceded already.  Apprently the new ones do
store-and-forward only as do most of the cheaper netgear models.

Cheers,
-Peter