Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:15:13 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

We can disable it be default.

>I posted the assembly code used to detect these cards once already.

>If you don't probe the location because of an existing conflict with
>a registration from the console driver, then you don't have a problem.

The conflict isn't representable, because ISA configuration only
supports one address per device, and that address is 0x60 for the
console driver.

Then there is the problem that the console device might not be probed
before the serial device.  There are actually some kludges in the probe
order to get the console probed first.  These happen to work if the
console device is configured.

Bruce