Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 07:19:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Book reviewers - more info

I've put the PostScript for the installation book on
freefall.freebsd.org:/pub/incoming/installing.ps.tar.gz.  The archive
contains two files: shorttoc.ps is the initial material, table of
contents and preface, and shortbook.ps is the rest.  I'd be happy if
as many people as possible would take a look at it and return comments
to me as soon as possible.  I'll be out of town until tomorrow
evening, but I'd like to get something out on Friday.  Even if you
can't get anything back to me by then, don't worry: I'll probably have
to make more changes after that.

Here are the criteria for this book:

- It's part of a larger book which is still in the works.

- It'll be given away free with at least *some* of Walnut Creek's
  CD-ROMs.  I don't understand who gets the books and who doesn't, but
  we'll find out...

- It's intended to help people get FreeBSD up and running, to the
  point where they can read the online documentation.  "Using FreeBSD"
  will go beyond this point.

What I'd like to know from reviewers is:

- Typos, misspellings, etc.

- Is this stuff (intel)legible?

- Is it correct?  If I've screwed anything up, please let me know.

- Is it relevant?  Have I gone overboard with stuff which nobody wants
  to know about?

- Is it complete?  Will it help a reasonably intelligent user install
  FreeBSD?

- Is the layout OK?  I know that some tables need adjustment, but the
  layout should now mostly be correct.

Please refer all comments via page number and geography ("On page 27,
just below the middle, you say FOO.  I think it should be BAR").

Thanks for your cooperation
Greg