Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 11:03:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      (Mark J. Taylor) <mtaylor@cybernet.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Samba, etc. Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>

On 22:16:51 "Gary Palmer" wrote:
>>Troy Arie Cobb wrote in message ID
><Pine.BSF.3.91.960605231640.15740B-100000@demeter.circle.net>:
>> On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Mark Mayo wrote:
>> As an aside, I could certainly avoid all this if there was a freely available
>> NFS server for NT.  I did a semi-extensive surf for one but came up nil.
>
>My memory dredges up the name `soss' for some reason. I THINK there is
>an NT version.
>
>Gary
>--
>Gary Palmer                                          FreeBSD Core Team Member
>FreeBSD: Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info

We've had some problems with SOSS (Son of Stans' Server) for NT- it tends to return
from a select() call before the timeout with no descriptors set.

We gave up on it a while ago (8 months).  Maybe it's been improved since then.

The DOS version works fine, if you don't have directory names with periods in them.
That was a fairly simple source-code hack to fix that.

Don't ask me where to get them- we don't use them anymore.  I do have a copy of the
DOS code, but it is quite different than the NT code.

Oh yeah- we never did figure out how to start the NT version as a service.  We were
only able to figure out how to get it to start automatically by putting it in a user's
startup folder.

-Mark Taylor
mtaylor@cybernet.com