Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:52:25 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb/umass, devfs: this sucks

--On December 25, 2007 10:25:08 PM -0800 David Benfell
<benfell@parts-unknown.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:38:11 -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>>
>> If we want people to give FreeBSD a try in good faith, it is both
>> profoundly  stupid and dishonest on our part to claim, we have a
>> working USB-system... It  does not matter, how great our buffer-sharing
>> VM is, if a home user can't  process their photos with a
>> FreeBSD-powered computer.

To the OP of this thread - generalized statements like this aren't very
helpful.  I have a USB  mouse and a USB keyboard, both of which work fine
and always have.  I mount USB thumb drives frequently to copy and move
files back and forth.  I have a USB hard drive that is automounted at boot.

None of these devices has ever given me problems.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I suspect it's the "failure" to
automount devices without first doing some configuration or to mount
devices when you are not logged in as root.

> While I have not experienced difficulty with umass, I would have to
> comment that as near as I can tell, *nothing* else on USB works.  Not my
> scanner, nor my Treo.
>
> Both have worked intermittently in the recent past, so I believe my
> configuration is not at issue.

These I can't comment on, because I don't use them, although I note that
there is a uscanner driver that *should* work for most scanners.  Man (4)
uscanner has a lenghty list of supported scanners.  You might check to see
if yours is on the list.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas