Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:43:07 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3com 3c509 card

> >> I tested with an FTP transfer and consumed about 45% CPU in both
> >> cases.
> >>
> >> I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.
> >
> > Well, for starters you aren't disclosing your measurement technique.
> > It sounds to me as though it's not measuring the relative CPU consumed
> > per bytes/datagrams transferred by the driver though.
> >
> > All you have established is that a known ~50% improvement in the CPU
> > utilisation of the driver has not affected the amount of CPU used for
> > your FTP transfer.  This should tell you something about how efficient
> > the driver is in the first place, especially compared with the other
> > operations involved in the transfer.
> >
> > First thing anyone should learn; how to measure things.  Whether you're
> > talking engineering, physics, chemistry or computing; if you don't know
> > what you're measuring, the numbers mean nothing.
>
> It's easy to say that sort of thing.  Now how about explaining what he
> should be looking for?

CPU time spent in the driver; I'd have thought that was pretty obvious
from the above.  Call microtime() on entry to driver functions, call it
again on exit, and add the difference to a counter.  Extract the value
of the counter and relate it to the number of bytes transferred on the
interface.  Be careful not to double-count time.  Be sensitive to
per-datagram as opposed to per-byte overheads.

An earlier poster described a substantial performance improvement
between 2.1 and 2.2 on a slow system; I believe this had to to with
changes in the mbuf management code (clustering?).

mike