Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:05:52
From:      "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Software for VPN's ? (long)

Next question (now that the firewall and nat are finally working properly):

FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE

My ISP goes from an "open" NAT/DHCP system (wireless Lucent cards) to a
"closed" VPN system (to make users authenticate themselves before getting on
the net, and for bandwidth control) on wednsday. They say all I need is a
pptp client to conenct to their server, it will give me a routable IP (at
present we get non routable behind the ISP's NAT) and verify taht I'm who I
say I am, and that's it - I'm on the internet.

I've been searching Deja and there seems to be many ways to do this - ppp,
poptop (port), mpd, mpd-netgraph, probably others. I don't really understand
what a VPN is (thought I did, but I really have problems visualizing it in
this particular case), so I'm not sure which package I should use. Netgraph
seems particularly elegant in design, but I have no idea if it's what I
need, or if there's a simpler/more efficient way to do things.

As far as I know:
My Lucent card gets a non routable IP via DHCP at boot time from the ISP
server (this works). Routing, nat and firewall all work automagically.
I point my pptp client at a static non routable IP (in the same subrange as
the DHCP assigned address) where the pptp server lives.
The two do pap/chap, agree I'm me, pptp server dynamically gives me a
routable IP (from a pool my ISP "owns", I imagine). My routing tables have
to be upgraded with all the new (post pptp) info, because the dhcp info
received previously is all wrong now - right? Does this work automatically,
or do I need a script somewhere after login (like with some PPP
connections)?

Any/all pointers recommendations appreciated :-)

Regards,
Thor