Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:57:51 -0500
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, des@ofug.org, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: caddr_t sweep

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> I would like the argument in ioctl funtions to either become
> a void * argument or for caddr_t to become a void *.

Pointer arithmetic is defined for char *.  The void type has no size and
therefore pointer arithmetic is not defined for it (except as a hack in
GCC...).  The problem with caddr_t being a char * is that C does not actually
require that every pointer can be coerced to/from char *, but it does require
that for void *.

  <> green@FreeBSD.org  <> bfeldman@tislabs.com      \  The Power to Serve! \