Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:37:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.hda.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, perky@python.or.kr
Subject:   Re: Wake on Lan

> Can somebody clue me in on how Wake On Lan is supposed to work?
> Does it require any support at all from the OS, or is it totally a
> BIOS thing?

I don't know how "Wake On Lan" is supposed to work, but the "Sony Vaio
Slimtop" I have comes out of suspend mode when I ping it.  I've had
it idle for half an hour so I don't know of any other events that
wake it up.

You'd have to be sure nothing was going to talk to it and you'd need
an ARP entry for once the arp cache timed out to use this in any way.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Fail-Safe systems, Agency approval