Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:46:09 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: In summary.. [Re: I'll be rolling a 4.1.1 release on September 25th]

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 11:33:47AM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> [Watch your cc line, boofoo; you just cc'd -stable TWICE]

Glass houses, stones:

 Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 02:52:33 -0700
 From: Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
 To: freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
 Cc: stable@FreeBSD.ORG, cg@FreeBSD.ORG, dg@FreeBSD.ORG

> As to how and why PRs don't work, that's kind of a pointless argument
> until/unless someone has something better to suggest.  Nobody likes
> the PR database and has cursed it since almost the first week of its
> adoption, but the whole singing-and-dancing keystone replacement
> project never left the ground.  Ahem.

Keystone is still a possible alternative, and I've pretty much assumed co-"lead
developer" role in that project. The only thing it lacks is a CLI interface
similar to edit-pr. I'm not foolish enough to think I could cram keystone down
committers throats with only a web interface.

The advantages of keystone are mostly cosmetic (there are some logical things
it does better then GNATS, though): better reporting, sexier interface, more
complex "followup" system, etc. I don't see how they'll solve the problems that
we're facing which have nothing to do with the bug reporting system but the
lazy-ass and/or busy committers(of which I fall into both groups).

> > the system for whatever reason, we should be taking a serious look at
> > just giving him maintainership of lpr so he can apply his umpteen new
>
> You know how the proposal-for-committers process works.  Go for it.

Evidently my recommendations don't carry enough weight for the existing
core, as several of my proposals have gone either unanswered or explicitly
denied. I also think that since I don't consider myself even a lpd power-user
I couldn't say anything beyond "Garance's patches fix a lot of problems that
come up with lpd and he seems to have a fairly complete understanding of
what needs to be done to make it better." If you feel such a statement would
be enough, I'll formally make it.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect, BOFH / Chimes, Inc.
                billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org