Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 1998 18:55:44 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unattended dump?

Hi Doug,

Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 1997, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > A few Qs about dump:
> >
> > I'd like to use dump from crontab. What happens when a tape shift is
> > required?  If I start a dump from the prompt, I can't detach the process
> > (i.e. no &), or it will stop saying "[1]  + Suspended (tty output)
> > dump". When running it from cron, this seems to work, as long as there
> > is no need for operator intervention.
>
> The process will probably stick up since it has no connected tty (unless
> dump can handle the ENOTTY error).

Do you mean that it will stick up even if it is run from cron?

In this case, how do I best run unattended dumps? As a script from the
console, that wait until a certain time during the night?

> > After about four gigs, I get write errors. The tape is a Travan 4/8 GB,
> > and this leads me to believe that the recorder has reached tape end,
> > which is odd, 'cause I believe it has hardware compression. Can dump
> > give me a false error code, or is it write error?
>
> If the end-of-media indicator on the tape is bad it could cause problems.
> But you probably are at tape end.

I've tried this with more than one tape, and the result is the same. 4GB
into the tape, I get write error. Obviously, I hit the tape end. The
model is a Seagate Hornet CTT8000. I have read the manual, and from what
I can comprehend, there's no built-in hardware compression. Still,
Seagate present fact & figures on how much it stores with hardware
compression. odd... Anyway, I guess 4GB is the limit, unless there's
some way to do software compression. I guess 'tar z...' might work, but
I like dump a lot better than tar...

Is there any way to fix the end-of-media indicator on the tape?

I use 'dump 0uabf 64 /dev/nrst0' and get the following:

  DUMP: 57.03% done, finished in 0:22
  DUMP: write error 1048256 blocks into volume 1
  DUMP: Do you want to restart?: ("yes" or "no")

I'd rather have the option to continue on a new tape.

> > The tape station is a Seagate Travan something. Shows up as:
> > >  (ahc0:5:0): "CONNER CTT8000-S 1.07" type 1 removable SCSI 2
> > >  st0(ahc0:5:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x45,  drive empty
> > at startup.
> >
> > btw, my backup commands look like:
> >
> > dump 0ubf 64 /dev/nrst0 /usr
>
> try adding the `a' option:
>
> dump 0aubf ...
>
> This way the dump will stop at tape end and ask for another tape.

Sorry, I remebered wrong. I do use the 'a' option.

Regards,
Palle