Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 09:00:54 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improvement? for the files/ directory...

 wrote:
>  * I am continually compiling my ports collection as folks upgrade the
>  * versions of packages, and some ports have _very_ unobvious tarball
>  * names, and some have more than one. Keeping track of which one(s)
>  * is/are current is a pain, so I wasted 2 minutes of my life and came
>  * up with the following idea; Why not "wc -c" all the relevant
>  * original distribution files for each port at "make makesum" time
>  * and put those into a file in files/ (I chose "list")?
>
> Why can't you do this using files/md5?

Duh. 'Cos I didnt actually look at what md5 looked like. Although
If I wanted to write a script that nuked all old distfiles, I
couldn't use files/md5 right now, as that would kill those ports
which do not have md5 files (TeX, LaTeX spring to mind).  Any way
we could do something similar to my idea that would be compulsory
for all ports that could be used to give a definitive list of
relevant distfile names? Actually - I could probably come up with
this given ten minutes or so. Interested?

I know the job is a bit of a bitch as some authors do not change the
tarball name when they change the contents of the file. (TeX, LaTeX
and expect are culprits). Still, the names are still useable?

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key