Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 10:23:10 -0500
From:      Glen Mann <gmann@cyberia.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   digital samples from sound card

Hello- I've read lots of Q&A, but have no idea yet how to take output
from a sound card and save it to a file (wav file).  I've tried stuff
like sox with no success.  It seems I need to tell the sound card to do
the ADC thing and show it to me on a device.  Which device?  Also, what
are the /dev/dsp and /dev/dspW devices?  Lots of references to them - no
explanation it seems.  I can take the line-level input and play it through the
speakers attached to the sound card.

If it helps my ultimate goal is to take microphone or line-level input
to the sound card and press it onto CDs.  The cd writing part is no problem.
I've got a soundblaster:

sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
sb0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
sbxvi0 at 0x0 drq 5 on isa