Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 22:05:11 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help building kernel

>As Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:
>> Help!  I'm trying to build a kernel on 2.1.0-Release, and I can't get
>> it to work.  Every time it goes to link I get these two errors:
>> init_main.o: Undefined symbol `_dummyinit' referenced
>> kern_xxx.o: Undefined symbol `_dummy_cleanup' referenced

>Interesting.  Both are defined just one line before they are used.
>Are you sure you're using the stock 2.1 `ld'?
>Try declaring them as non-static, and see if the linker will find
>them.

The problem was that the compiler optimized them out of existance.
I'm used to building a kernel fully optimized (-O6) under NetBSD, and
just did the same thing here.  Building with -O fixed the problem.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.