Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 02:57:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ronald Wiplinger <ronald@trace.com.tw>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.org" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Unexpected signal 11 caught! That's bad!..

On Sat, 22 Mar 1997, Ronald Wiplinger wrote:

> I have got the Walnut Creek CDROM and tried to install, but the CD driv
> is not supported.

If this is an ATAPI CD, try moving it to the slave position on the primary
controller.

> 2. choice was to mount the CD on the Linux box and try t use NFS
> installation. There I get a
>
> "Couldn't extract the following distributions. This may be because they were not available on the
> installation media you have choosen:
>  bin doc games manpages catpages profiles dict inf compat1x compat20 compat21"
>
> Isn't that the entire system ;-)  The cdrom is on Linux mounted as
> /cdrom and used it via nfs at linkou.trace.com.tw/cdrom
>
> Maybe the path is wrong.

Perhaps.  Take a look at the ALT-F2 debug console when things die -- it
should give you some hints as to where to look.  For instance, here the
nfs mount may have failed because of permissions problems.

> 3. Try ftp to Taiwan ftp site. Here it downloads a lots of things and
> hangs than at:  Unable to transfer the X329GAN distributino from
> ftp://ftp2.tw.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD

Probably got stuck.

> It does not matter if I answer yes or no (Yes I made this excercise
> already several times), the system does not show me any new picture.
> ALT-F2 shows me messages:
>
> DEBUG: Unexpected signal 11 caught! That's bad!..

This usually indicates bad memory, processor cache, or invalid network
configuration.

> 5. Last and slowlest try, which I certainly have to quit, ftp to
> ftp.freebsd.org (0.2 KB/sec.)

Ugh.

Hope this helps.