Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 22:13:42 -0500
From:      "Benjamin Greenwald" <beng@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Chris Knight" <fbsd-cur@ghostwheel.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Recomendation on supported AGP Video card.

The conventional wisdom seems to be mostly dependent on your desire to run
at resolutions of 1600x1200 or higher.  If that is the case, you are almost
certainly better off with the Matrox Millenium G200.  Matrox is famous for
their high quality analog engineering and the signal to noise ratio on it's
output is far superior to anything else out there.  It also, at least to my
eye, has the nicest looking 3D output.

If you don't have a high end fancy 21" monitor or don't plan to run it at
1600x1200 or higher, the NVIDIA Riva TNT cards will serve you quite well and
have a faster 3D engine than the G200.  Be careful, though, not all TNT's
are equivalent.  Unlike the Matrox boards, the chip and the board for TNT
based cards is manufactured by two different companies.  Depending on the
brand you buy it may have better/worse quality, performance and heat
characteristics.  People seem to have few complaints about the Diamond
Stealth v550.  If I were to buy a TNT, that would be it.  Tom's Hardware
Guide (http://www.tomshardware.com) has a featured comparison this month of
the current Riva TNT cards and is a generally good source of information.

-Ben Greenwald