Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:10:34 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.biz>
To:        Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
Cc:        FBSD-ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: User Maanagement (Bulk Processing)

* Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net> [20020320 17:49]: wrote:
> users=`cat badusers.txt`
> for user in $users; do
> wol-suspend.sh $user
> done
>
> and, no doubt, something similar to restore them.

I must say this is just very brilliant! Thank you.
I need to whack myself thoroughly for not thinking this way, yes? No, people
are gifted with diff levels of thinking.

> > Hello people,
> >
> > Allow me to ask this because I work for an ISP ;-) Actually
> > I am just seeking help from shell script gurus. I have a shell
> > script that I use to suspend user accounts on my FreeBSD box.
> > It works well for single user but there are time like now when
> > I want to suspend over 400 users for non payment. I have another
> > script that can do this but again the problem is my scripts
> > are so crude they do not do any sensible checks <LOL>. My bad.
> >
> > I am attaching the script - wol-suspend.sh Basically one of
> > you gurus can be able to modify this script so that it takes
> > a flat file (badusers.txt) which has one user per line and
> > suspend all of them, yes?? I sincerely hate to do
> >
> > ./wol-suspend.sh userx
> > ./wol-suspend.sh userb
> >
> > My insistence on this is because our Customer Service Executives
> > will verify the user's status by doing
> >
> > finger userx
> >
> > and they'll see Plan: Suspended.
> >
> > Other than this, what tools do pepole use for such tasks? Someone
> > willing to share what they have??
> >
> > Thanking you.
> >
> > -Wash
> >
> > --
> > Odhiambo Washington  <wash@wananchi.com>    "The box said 'Requires
> > Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT,
> >  or better,' Tel: 254 2 313985-9   Fax: 254 2 313922     so
> > I installed FreeBSD."   GSM: 254 72 743 223   GSM: 254 733
> > 744 121  This sig is McQ!  :-)
> >
> > ++
> > Kleptomaniac, n.:
> > 	A rich thief.
> > 		-- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
>

> --
> Jim Flowers<jflowers@ezo.net>

-Wash

S y s t e m s   A d m i n i s t r a t o r
--

Odhiambo Washington	/"\	RED Ribbon Campaign
Wananchi Online Ltd.,	\ /	Against AIDS.

++
Q:  How many Martians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A:  One and a half.