Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 20:38:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Daniel Leeds <cosmos@sponsor.octet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: restore

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Daniel Leeds wrote:

> i made 4 dumps with the following command
>
> dump 0unBbf 4000000 10 ice:/dev/nrst0 /  /usr   /home/home2   /home/home3
>
> each one of those systems respectively one at a time, using the no rewind
> device.  I watched the drive each time and it reported no errors.
>
> how come restore sees only one volume, the / one and nothing else??  is
> there a special restore command to access the other volumes??

	/sbin/restore isvf 1 /dev/rst0
                      |||| | |
                      |||\_________________  do not use the default device
                      ||\__________________  report each file that is restored
                      |\___________________  the skip flag
                      \____________________  interactive restore, let me cd,
                                             add and then extract or quit

	you have to list each dump separately, to get a list of the
dump contents on the screen:

	/sbin/restore stf 1 /dev/rst0
                      ||| | |
                      |\____________________  list the contents of the dump
                      |                       do NOT restore any files

	if you find that there is only 1 dump on the tape, then you
rewound the tape after making the previous dumps and overwrote the
earlier dumps.  only the last one remains on the tape. ;((

	this is the difference between /dev/nrst0 and /dev/rst0

	nrst0 means dont rewind when the dump finishes.

Jonathan M. Bresler        FreeBSD Postmaster         jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
play go. ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life
i am moving to a new job.                 PLEASE USE: jmb@FreeBSD.ORG