Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:37:26 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        "D. Michael McFarland" <dmmcf@uiuc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Codeweavers's crossover Office on FreeBSD?

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 12:36:09PM -0500, D. Michael McFarland wrote:
> I spent part of my weekend playing with CrossOver Office, and thought
> I should report my results here for the archives.  And maybe somebody
> will wallop me with a clue about Wine.
>
> I had limited success with linux_base-6, but once I upgraded to
> linux_base-7 I was able to install CrossOver as a normal user and then
> MS Office 2000 Pro.  My experience generally resembles that of
> "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>, who wrote:
>
> >> Interesting, I couldn't resist and tried. It seems to be installed now,
> >> although I'm getting a bunch of
> >> linux: 'ioctl' fd=6, cmd=0x7201 ('r',1) not implemented
>
> I'm seeing those too.
>
> > No luck. Although I finally managed to install MS Office '97, trying
> > to run Office programs mostly results in
> >
> > linux: syscall ptrace is obsoleted or not implemented (pid=2865)
>
> I haven't seen that, though.

I'm running linux_base 6, maybe that makes the difference? I'll give
it a try with linux_base 7 on 4.5.

> > and wine quits.
>
> I can start any of Word, PowerPoint or Exel, but on top of the
> application window I get a transient window complaining, "Required
> registry information is missing and this application cannot run.
> Please rerun setup to correct this problem."  When I click on OK (the
> only choice...grrrr), the transient closes, and the application closes
> right behind it, apparently cleanly.

Hm, I didn't see that...

Meanwhile, I got the thing more or less running on 5.0-DP1, although
the complaints about unimplemented ioctl's are still there. On a first
look, Word and PowerPoint seem to run fine when I tried with some test
.doc and .pps lying around. It's quite amazing to see those apps run
without the sluggish emulation feeling of VMware :-).

Karel.